Book Review: The Count of Monte Cristo

     A while back I had to read a book for school. Which, of course, isn't a big deal because I'm preeetty sure most students have to do that at some point in their education. 😉 But what is a big deal is that I actually LIKED the book. (Which is kinda rare because I'm usually not a fan of most books I have to read for school.) But guys. This book. THIS BOOK. It was AMAZING!!!! It was so good that I even counted down the days until I could watch the movie that was made of it (which, I was unfortunately very disappointed with. It was SO Hollywood-ized and barely stuck to the plot at all. That said, I would definitely recommend reading the book instead.) 

      BUT ANYWAY. For today's post, I will be giving a review on this fabulous book that changed my look on historical literature! I will be talking about the FAMOUS....MOST PRAISED BOOK....in the NINETEENTH CENTURY! I present to you....

-

-

-

-

-

Yes, I'm doing the scrolly thing even though you already

know what this review is about because it's in the title

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO!!!!!




But, but
The Count of Monte Cristo is as old as dirt! Why would you want to do a book review on that!?!?

WAIT. Whoooo said that?

Uhhh, the Judge did. 

The Judge? Like from a court? You're gonna have to elaborate, dude.

*impatient sigh* I'm the Judger of Books. As in the little pessimistic thought that's in every person alive. I'm where the phrase "don't judge a book by it's cover" comes from. Face it, even bookworms have judged some books at first glance. EVEN YOU. 

Uhhhh-huh. And what exactly are you doing here? Because I kind of have a post to get back to and I'm not typically tolerant of strange voices suddenly crashing into my blog like this. (Even though I do sound...disturbingly calm. Should I be freaking out more???)

Probably. I'd like to say I'm a book reviewer's WORST NIGHTMARE EVER. 

Heheh. Well. Lucky me.  

Oh, you're very lucky! You should feel like you just won the lottery! The fact that I chose you to bug today should really be an honor. Besides, it's my lucky day to have found you reviewing such a lame book as this one! 

*scowls* It's not lame! And if all you're gonna do is criticize it then you are absolutely not welcome. 

Sorry, dear, but I will be criticizing it and I'm not going anywhere. It's just part of the job qualifications. And today, my job is to judge the The Count. You don't want me to get in trouble with my employers do you?

Actually, that doesn't sound too bad and...doesn't even make sense if you're just a measly ol' ill-tempered thought. 

Wow. Thanks. But yes, it shouldn't make sense. Confusing people is part of my job too. So are we gonna get started or what?

*sighs* Fine then. But I'm gonna ignore you. 

Eh, suit yourself.

WELL. Sorry about that everybody! Now, where were we?

Uh, you were introducing this very awful book.

Oh, thank yo- I meeeaaan, right! I was introducing this very awesome book. So, to give a wee bit of a backstory, The Count of Monte Cristo was written in the nineteenth century by Alexandre Dumas (who was a very morally unstable and odd man BUT his writing skills rock so we're overlooking that). Dumas also wrote The Three Musketeers and a bunch of other famous works, but THIS ONE is the pick of the litter (although I've never actually read any of his other stuff....so maybe don't quote me on that). XD Therefore, I'm gonna do my very best to convince you to read this gem! (Which is...kind of obvious since I'm doing a review on it. *coughs*)

And I'm gonna do my best to convince you not to read it.   

Be quiet. 

Actually since I'm your guest here, I think I'll go first.

WHAT?!? No-

All right, like I said before, this book is basically as old as dirt. Like Victoria mentioned (twice I might add), it was written in the nineteenth century. So obviously, it's not gonna be good. 

Amazing. Every word you just said was wrong. (And yes, I quoted Luke Skywalker there....or something like it.) 😉 Look here, Mr. Judge. There's a lil' something called chronological snobbery which is a logical fallacy that people use when discrediting a source due to its age. Therefore, what you say might be true, but it's completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. Which in this case, would be a book review. 

Yeah, right. You totally made that up. 

Uh, no I didn't. I'm actually finishing a logic course in school right now. But, if ya don't believe me, I'll be more than happy to turn this book review into a hopefully accurate logic lesson to prove it! 😃

Oh no, that's okay. Logic and I don't get along very well in my field of work.

You suuuuure? 'Cause it's really not a problem. 

YEP, yeah, totally 100% sure. I'll just, uh, go over to my little corner and observe for a while... 

THANK YOU. Thank you very much. (Hehehehe, see guys? Logic is the best power in an argument! 😏) But anyway, as for my whole review system, I'll kinda model it off of Common Sense Media's or Plugged In's, but with my own thoughts and opinions at the end. 

SO, here we go (finally)!

SUMMARY (Beware: This the Victoria Translation): 

    Edmond Dantès is a young, free, happy-go-lucky guy who's livin' the dream down in Marseilles, France. He has an awesome job, a beautiful fiancé, a devoted father, and life overall couldn't get better. 

    But it can get worse. 

    One day, Edmond is suddenly framed with treason, arrested, and locked up in prison for, well, let's just say, a LONG time. With that moment, Edmond's life is changed forever and, after he finds out why he was innocently imprisoned and who was the cause of it, one of the worst things infects his heart: Vengeance. 

    Edmond (as predicted) doesn't stay in prison forever, and once he leaves, his sole mission is to track down his wrongdoers and make them pay for his suffering. Through his journey to justice, Edmond arises as the Count of Monte Cristo, and with his masterfully cunning mind and lust for revenge, he travels that journey in the most unsuspecting and ruthless ways one could ever imagine. 

DOESN'T IT JUST SOUND AWESOME!?!?!?!?!

Hmmmmmm, I must admit that does sound slightly interesting. 

Doesn't it though!?!?! I knew I could get through to you! 

Eheh. Just because I think it sounds okay doesn't mean you're "getting through to me".

We'll see.... 

POSITIVE ELEMENTS: 
    Even though vengeance is the key theme in The Count of Monte Cristo, it appears to be looked down upon is several cases. One character (who helped Edmond figure out how he ended up in prison) regretted telling him who his enemies were because this said character was afraid that the thought of revenge would fill Edmond's mind. In the end of the book, Edmond even seems to regret some of his actions. Another positive thing was that Edmond also gave justice in regards with reward to other characters who suffered too, but were good to him. 

SPIRITUAL ELEMENTS:
    God is referred to in this book a LOT. Edmond feels confident that God wants him to enact revenge on his enemies, but we know, as Christians, vengeance belongs to God alone. Thankfully in the end, this is something that Edmond seems to realize as well. (But I'll stop there before I spoil anything!) 😉

ROMANTIC ELEMENTS:
    Like I said in the summary, Edmond has a fiancé and there are a few other couples in the book as well (but most of them are married or get married). A few kisses are mentioned but nothing is described. A woman marries her cousin, but that was typical during the time the book was set (for example, Queen Victoria married her cousin, Albert).

EWWW.....YOU DID?!?!?! 

Haha, very funny. Now go back to your little corner of silence! I need to finish this review. 

VIOLENT CONTENT: 
    People try to commit suicide and some fail while others succeed. Poison is mentioned frequently and the topic of a duel is brought up. Some people die. But other than that, there's nothing too descriptive or graphic. 

CRUDE/PROFANE LANGUAGE:
    There wasn't anything too terrible said in this book. I think God's name was taken in vain a few times, but if I remember correctly there wasn't anything much more than that. 

DRUG/ALCOHOL CONTENT:
    I honestly don't pay a whole lot of attention to this stuff, but for those who do, some people drink whisky or wine or something (it was never clarified). Medicine type drugs are used and a sleeping drug is taken.

MY THOUGHTS!
    GUYS. This book is AMAZING (despite the Judge's completely nonsensical opinions). I know lots of people in high school are required to read it, but even if you aren't in high school, if you haven't read this, then you MUST. There are a few boring parts, BUT TRUDGE THROUGH THEM because it is SO worth it in the end. The end just blew me away and gave me so many new thoughts about revenge and why you should only leave it to God. And if you dig deep enough, there are several cool elements in it especially with irony, poetic justice, foreshadowing, etc. Not only that, but it also gives you a lot to consider regarding Edmond's position (like if he's a relatable protagonist or if he ends up as a villain). Thus, this book can spur a LOT of conversation and debate, so if you have read it before then, by all means, I'd LOOOVE to talk about it with you!

    So before I wrap this up, let's check this sucker out on my Star Scale! (Drumroll everyone!)
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

I HEREBY GIVE THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO...
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

5 STARS!!!

 REALLY??? Well, if it's that good then maybe I should give it a try...

HA! I TOLD you so! 

Key word "Maybe". But... I suppose I am a little more open to it.

WHOOO!!!!! One down, uhhhh, more to go! PLEASE guys, give this book a try! If the Judge is thinking about it, then you should too! 

Hey, now, don't start making me sound like a soon-to-be bookworm or anything. I do have a reputation to keep up, y'know. In fact, don't be surprised if I stop by the next time you do a book review. This place is actually starting to feel like home!

It...it is? *swallows*

YEP! 

Oh.....yay. That sounds great. 

*evil grin* I bet you're absolutely THRILLED. Seeeeee you later!!!!! Mwahahahaha.....

Heh. Well. That's not creepy at all. But on another note, I have a totally awesome announcement to share before I forget!!! Alexa over at A Fangirl's Hideaway is hosting this SUPER FUN writing contest during the next two weeks! It's really easy do to and even easier to enter so I'd highly recommend checking it out!!!  

Tally-ho!

    Let's talk! Have I convinced you to read The Count of Monte Cristo? Has anyone already read this book before? If so, what are YOUR thoughts? Oh, and what did you think of the Judge? Do you want him to come back again? (Not that he'll listen, 'cause it appears he as a mind of his own...) 😉 

Comments

  1. Victoria!! Okay, that was EPIC, girl!! The convo between you and the Judge was AWESOME, and I have to say, that I think you have convinced me that I need to read this book! ;)
    Great post!! =) *thumbs up* <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHOOO!!!! Thank you sooo much, Sierra!!! *evil cackles* I think I had way to much fun writing him! XD YAAAY!!!! I'm so glad to hear that! You'll have to let me know what you think about it if you do! :D <333

      Delete
  2. Quite an interesting way of reviewing a book–I like it! And I totally agree with you about old books. I think this is one for the bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you!!! :D YESSS!!!!! It definitely should be! ;)

      Delete
  3. I want to read the book but I have not yet. Your reveiw was very funny! I love the movies! Did you watch the old or new one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, well I hope you get the chance to do so soon! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Ah, yes, I watched the 2002 version. I don't know if that would be the old or new one (I think a LOT of different versions were made off of it). XD Personally, the movie in of itself was okay, but I think I just didn't prefer it 'cause I read the book first. Have you watched another version of it? 'Cause I'd be super interested to see how the other ones were made compared to the one I saw! :D

      Delete
  4. WOW! If you rate it 5 STARS then that must mean I'll have to go check it out! *Writes it near the top of my TBR list* Your review was entertaining, and HILARIOUS! I chuckled out loud a few times while reading this! You 100% convinced me to read The Count of Monte Cristo! And tell Judge that I would love to see him again! Aww, girl, THANK YOU so much for the shoutout! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSS, GO DO IT!!!! XD It is kinda hard to get into at first, but the later part of the book (especially the last third) is SOOO good! I had a hard time putting it down!! XD AHHH!!! Girl, the fact that you laughed out loud has TOTALLY made my day! :D WHOOO!!! My life's mission is now complete! XP Awww, you're SOOO WELCOME!!! I'm not sure if that's "reblogging" but I thought I'd help spread the word somehow! XD

      Delete
    2. Why, thank you very much, Alexa! At least SOMEONE around here appreciates me... *narrows eyes at Victoria*

      Delete
    3. Hiya Victoria! Yes, I'm back on this post even though it was published in April. XD BUT, I have some exciting news for you! I've started reading the Count of Monte Cristo! *jumps up and down* I'm not that far into it but I've loved it so far! Just wanted to hop on here and let you know that soon I'll be able to fangirl with you on how AMAZING this book is! ;)

      Delete
    4. Hey-o, Alexa!!! *GASPS* GIRL, NO WAY!!!!!! EEEEEE!!!!! That's so AWESOME!!!! *jumps up and down with you* I absolutely CAN'T WAIT to fangirl with you about it!!! If you ever just HAVE to talk about it with someone at certain parts (even before you finish it), my inbox is ALWAYS open!!! ;)

      Delete
  5. VICTORIA I LOOOOVED THIS!!!!!! The Judge was seriously awesome and I totally vote for the Judge to return!!! XDD And, girl, I LOOOVED your book review!!! Honestly, girl, this was like the most fun and engaging review I have EVER READ!!!! It's sooo awesome how you just make literally everything fun to read!! <33 And hehehehe I looove all of your dashes to make us scrolling. Those are waaay too much fun to use!! Keep up the amazing work and I cannot wait for the next post!!! *pumps fist in the air*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOODNESS, THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH GIRL!!!!!!!!! Lolol, oh boy, pretty sure that's just gonna inflate his ego! XD (But since I'm his creator...thank you a million times over!!! XD I was hoping he'd be fun addition!) *Gasps* Girl. GIRL. That's like the biggest compliment EVER!!!!! That seriously means SOOOOO much to me how you have fun reading my posts!!! <333 YESSS, dashes for the win! I'll probably end up using them way too much. XD Awwwww, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! Your comments ALWAYS make my day, girl! <33

      Delete
    2. Hehehehe, well would ya look at that--I have another fan! If I had known my presence would have been loved this much, I would have infiltrated the blogosphere MUCH sooner. ;)

      Delete
  6. Great review! I LOVED how you added the Judge to your post!!! (I agree with Isabelle... Please let him return!!!!) I'm trying to get into classics more (you have veggie tales to thank for that. XD really weird sentence though so i'll explain: We were watching Veggie Tales (the strange case of Dr. Jiggle and Mr. Sly) and I knew it was based of Jekyll and Hyde because i saw the title on our bookshelf! so, i started reading it! XD Then, I finished and picked up Pride and Prejudice! I'm currently reading it now, but mom made a list of classics that I should read (ones she liked) and this book was on the list!!!! I'm really excited to read it because (who knows if I'll like it but...) Adventures in Odyssey (Christian radio drama thingy.... It's AWESOME you should check it out!!! Website: https://www.adventuresinodyssey.com/ (also it says its made for 8-12 yr olds but forget the 12 yr old part!! XD) Anyway, they have an episode where they are re acting the count of monte cristo story and their own way!! Lots of it is the same (i think) but instead of something else, they are fighting over sandwiches!! XD It's in an episode called B-tv: Revenge. Sorry for that long and maybe confusing comment!!! XD Have a wonderful day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHH!!! THANK YOU MUCH, girl!!! *Gasps* I LOVE Veggie Tales! I don't really watch them anymore, but I when I was younger I used to alllll the time. XD (Although, I don't think I ever saw the strange case of Dr. Jiggle and Mr. Sly. Now I want to go find it!) That's SOOO cool how you've started reading classics (and that this book was on the list your mom gave you)!!!! I haven't read Pride and Prejudice (I have read Sense and Sensibility though) but I have seen both P&P movies (the 2 hr one and the BBC 5 hr one--which is personally my favorite). XD Have you seen either of those before? *Gasps again* You like Adventures in Odyssey too!?!?! That's awesome!!!! I LOVE Focus on the Family's stuff and, while I haven't had the chance to listen to the radio programs often, I REALLY want to (especially now that I know they reenacted The Count of Monte Cristo!!! That episode sounds HILARIOUS!!!!) XD Thank you so much for letting me know which one it is! I'm definitely gonna try to find it somewhere now!! Out of pure curiosity, do you read the Clubhouse Magazines? Awww, I love long comments! (And it wasn't confusing at all!) :D I hope you have a totally awesome day too!!!!! :D

      Delete
    2. I am going to watch the 2005 one when I'm done with the book! (i forgot if dad said i could watch the bbc one... i'll have to ask) I don't get Clubhouse (my sister does) but I do get Brio! I Love it!!! Do you read any of their magazines?

      Also, did I post a comment on your about page? I think it was under Lrose5 (before I figured all this following stuff out! XD).

      And, random question, why did you choose to use blogger instead of wordpress, etc?

      Delete
    3. Oooh, yes, the 2005 one is really good!! It's kinda fun comparing that one with the BBC series! XD I do!!! My sisters and I get Clubhouse and Brio (we share them) and they're so fun to read!

      Aw, man, I don't think so...I haven't seen one come through. I'm really sorry about that! I'm not sure why that happened (I'm still figuring all of this stuff out too). XD

      There are actually a couple reasons why I chose Blogger! For one, my dad thought Wordpress would be a little overwhelming since I'm just a newbie at this and also I think you have to pay for no ads to appear on a Wordpress blog (and I'm too broke for that!). XD However, I think that if I start to seriously pursue blogging (and if I get a job or something to pay for the ad thing) then I might switch over to a Wordpress platform sometime in the future! I hope that answers your question (and if you have any more feel free to ask them)!!! :D

      Delete
    4. They are!! (i look at my sister's whenever she gets them! XD)
      Adds don't bother me.... (I'm a private blog! XD) I still think if you are public, that it's not that big of a deal.
      I personally like wordpress better because for me it's easier to understand than other platforms and your followers can move around your blog easier!
      (if you ever move to wordpress, i'm here to help!! XD)
      and I'm just gonna go back to your about page and comment again!! XD

      Delete
    5. Lolol! XD Yeah, ads don't really bother me on other blogs, but for some reason I feel like they would annoy me if they were on my own. XD (Although I did learn recently that Google pays you if you sponsor ads on a Blogger blog, so maybe I could test that out someday and see how it works...) ;P
      Ah, yes, I definitely agree with you on that one!! From what I've observed following other Wordpress blogs, I do think it would be much easier to use with some things.
      (Awww, thanks!! If I do move and have any questions, you'll be the first person I'll ask!) ;)

      Delete
  7. Wow! This review was so detailed and wonderful! I found your blog linked on Teen Writers' Nook, and it's amazing! This book has been on my TBR for a while now, and I usually see that people don't like books they have to read as part of a school assignment, so it's great to see this!

    ♥ Maya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I was kinda worried if it would be too detailed or not (but I didn't want to have just my own opinions) so I'm SUPER GLAD you found it helpful!!! Awww, girl, that means so much to me! *Gasps* YAY! I'm so excited it's on your TBR!! Haha, yeah, I've actually had some pretty good reads for school this year so that's been surprisingly nice! XD Thank you again sooo much for stopping by, Maya! <3

      Delete
  8. Ooo!!! I had read Count of Monte Cristo quite some time back and reading this review was a perfect recap! It was so amazingly written and I loved it <3 ! Made me want to read the book again😅
    Great job!!!😊😉
    ~ Maith (http://maithworld.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHH!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH, Maith!!!! YES, IKR!?!? It's so awesome! Lol, writing this made me wanna read it again, too! XD Awww, thank you!!! <33

      Delete
  9. I loved this review, Victoria!!!!!!!!! :D (Hehehe, that "Judge" was pretty funny!!! XD He should definitely come back again! ;) ) I've never read The Count of Monte Cristo, but I totally want to now!!!!!!!! :D And I just gotta say that I LOVE how your review is set up!!!!!!! I like it when reviews let us know what content or language is in there! I totally LOVED reading your review!!!!!!!! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, THANK YOU SO MUCH, Katherine!!!!!!! (*whispers* I'm actually trying to get another book review ready for Monday so you'll see hopefully him again soon!) ;P *Gasps* YESSS, girl, you totally should!!!!! Awww, thanks!!! I like it when reviews do that too, 'cause it lets the readers weigh the book's content by themselves without a whole lot of personal opinion from the writer (if that makes sense...). XD GIRL, that means so much to me!!! Thank you!! <333

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Daylight: A 9/11 Short Story// Interview With Author Grace A. Johnson!

Ch. 2: The Time I...Traveled to the 1700s (Feat. My Vacation to Colonial Williamsburg)

I'm Leaving the Blogosphere?