Ch. 1: The Time I...Became a Wannabe Legolas (Feat. My Very First Archery Lessons)

    You know that feeling when you want something SOOOOOO bad and it takes forever to convince your parents to let you have or do that? Well that was for me with archery.

    And it took me a year to persuade them to let me try it out. 

    It all started in the Fall of 2019 with the famous Katniss Everdeen. Wait, wait. Nope, it was even farther back. It REALLY all started a several years ago with a good ol' episode of LEGO Friends. (Not that I expect anyone to recognize that show--I barely even remember the name of it myself.) XD BUT ANYWAY. I think I was 10 or 11 at the time, and I remember watching one episode where Olivia and her friends went to a summer camp. 

    And they did archery.

    And I was jealous. 

    Of them. I was jealous of ANIMATED LEGO PEOPLE WHO WENT TO A MAKE BELIVE SUMMER CAMP. The pure absurdity of it is *slightly* humiliating. But eventually, my 11 year old Dory brain completely forgot about my misfortunes of not being a bow-wielding, cartoon character and I proceeded with life not sparing another thought towards archery.

    Until 2019. And it was then when my obsession for archery officially kicked off with the dystopian story of a teenage girl who was thrown into an arena with 20 other kids out to kill each other and was caught up in the love triangle of a century.

    This, my friends, was the Hunger Games.

    And when I watched Katniss shoot that arrow like nobody's business, archery captivated my mind and this time it didn't let go. (Especially after I kept watching all these other shows or movies that happened to have archers in them. The dream to become one of them was inevitable.) 

I mean, JUST LOOK AT HER FIERCE DETERMINATION!!!
 

And HIS TOTALLY EPIC SHOT!!!


And HAWKEYE'S MID-AIR AIMING!!!


And LEGOLAS' AWESOME FIGHTING SKILLS WITH THE SHOT AT DA END!!!
(Needless to say, he's one of my favorites)


And, and, and...MY LIL' OLIVER TRAINING WITH TENNIS BALLS!!!
(Yeah, probably should've ended with Legalos...) XD

    BUT YOU GET THE POINT. So I talked to my parents about it (i.e. slyly bringing it up every now and then when they were in a good mood) XD and on Christmas morning they gave me a coupon/certificate/thingy-doodle telling me I would get two private archery lessons to see if this would be something I'd want to pursue! It was just recently that I actually got to do those lessons, so today, I've decided to share with you my first-time archery experience as well as a few tips that I learned!

    Therefore, I present to you...



    I would've done "The Time I...Became a Wannabe Katniss Everdeen" but we can all agree that would be too much of a mouthful. XD (Besides, Legolas is just as awesome!) 😉 "The Time I..." is actually a new series I'm gonna be starting that features me retelling several different adventures I've experienced every so often! So find a comfy place to sit and make sure you have plenty of time to read this 'cause I literally have no idea how long this post is gonna be!!! 😃 ('Cause up until now, everything you've read is just the intro...*cough*)

    The day of my first archery lesson was one exciting Saturday! I woke up, rolled outta bed, looked out the window and...

    ...it was rainy. It wasn't currently raining at the moment, but it was dreary. And cold. And windy. And it turns out my archery coach doesn't like to do shooting in that type of weather ('cause we do it outdoors in her backyard). 

    Yaaaay. So we rescheduled, but just for the following day. And thankfully Sunday was nice and sunny (let it be known that God is definitely good)! XD So mom and I drove to Coach's house, met the woman herself, she got out our archery equipment, showed me how to put it on, then she turned to my mom and said, "Do you want a bow too?" 

Wait wut?

    To say Mom was surprised was an understatement. To say I was surprised...well...I think the gif says it all. But when it comes to archery, my coach doesn't take no for an answer. Like, at all. So Mom suited up too, we brandished our weapons, and Coach took us to the targets. 

    YES! I thought. Finally time to shoot!

    Did we shoot?

    Hah. No. We stretched. But lemme tell ya, as cliché as is sounds, always, ALWAYS stretch before doing archery. If you don't, well, good luck. Your muscles might murder you the next day, but that'll be on you! After we stretched, Coach then instructed us on safety. And guys. Do not, I repeat DO NOT try shooting a bow and arrow without some form of safety instruction. If you do, it might result it injured arms, injured equipment and injured death. Which...doesn't even make sense. But overall, it probably wouldn't be good. 

    Here are a few tips of advise I learned:

        1. Never dry-fire a bow. This means pulling back and releasing the bowstring without an arrow nocked. If you do, you could damage the bow and yourself.
        2. If shooting in a group setting always follow instructions. There's usually going to be an instructor telling the archers what they can do and when to do it. These instructions include:
    • "Archers to the line" or two whistle blows. This means that the archers can go to the shooting line.
    • "You may shoot" or one whistle blow. This means archers can begin shooting. When an archer is done he/she needs to step back and wait for the "pull" command.
    • "Pull" or three whistle blows. This means all archers must stop and pull out their arrows from the target.
    • "Stop!" or multiple whistle blows. This means there is an emergency and all archers must stop IMMEDIATELY.
        3. If you drop an arrow while nocking it (a.k.a. putting it on the bowstring) DO NOT pick it up unless you can do so WITHOUT moving from the shooting line. If you can reach it by bending down that's fine, but if you can't pick it up without taking a step, then leave it be until you're allowed to pull. This is important because if you step away from the shooting line to pick it up then...well...there may be a possible chance of accidentally getting shot yourself. And that doesn't exactly sound pleasant, does it?
        4. Always be alert. Let's be real, if you're in an environment with sharp objects that have been featured in several films over the years as a weapon used by superheroes, elves, and rebels then this would proooobably be a good one to keep in mind. Most accidents actually happen when archers are pulling their arrows, because they might stop paying attention to their surroundings and, I dunno, pull their arrow out of the target and accidentally stab someone with it or something. *shrugs* Lotsa things can happen (in any situation, really), but with archery, being alert will probably be what keeps you alive. XD

    After hearing those rules (plus a few more) IT WAS TIME TO SHOOT. So we picked up our bows, Coach showed us how to nock the arrow, she helped us get the correct form (which, mind you, requires a lot more strength than you'd think--I still can't do it completely right), we pulled back our bowstrings, aimed, and Coach said "shoot!" 

    Aaaaaand I didn't shoot. Er...to better phrase that, I couldn't shoot. 
 
Tell me about it.

    "Just let it go!" Coach said. And I tried, really I did. But I just...couldn't. Maybe it's because I didn't know how to release it and move my arm the right way or maybe it's just because I was so nervous of not hitting the target--but either way, after a few failed attempts, Coach brought me this rubber thing-y that I practiced my arm movements with. I will say, it was quite humbling having to learn how to merely release the arrow when I may have imagined doing all sorts of epic Legolas shots for the first time, but lo and behold the magic rubber thing actually worked! 
    Once I got the hang of the movements, I picked up the bow and arrow again, pulled back the bowstring and let that baby fly!

    And guys.

    I obviously didn't hit the bullseye, but I did hit the red!!!
 
Here's one of the targets we practiced on to see where that is.

    Honestly, I could've gone home right then and there, happy that I didn't kill anyone with my first shot, but c'mon. Where would the fun be in that? 😉 We kept shooting and even went overtime with the lesson, but overall, we had an awesome first archery lesson! Never mind that my whole body felt like it was being gnawed on by a pack of Orcs the following day even though we stretched. 
    My next archery lesson wasn't super different (although this time my dad came too and was almost wrangled in to shooting also if it weren't for the fact that Coach didn't have a left-handed bow ready for him). XD Instead, he sat back and occupied himself with the important task of taking pictures! Which I may or may not have forced him to do...  For some reason, I feel like I didn't do as well with this lesson (and my mom did way better than me most of the time--she even scored a 10 pointer) XD but at the end we both finished the lesson with a satisfying hit in the yellow! (I even pulled a Robin Hood a couple times and shot an arrow in the same hole another arrow was in! By accident, of course.) XD
    Here are a few pictures my dad took (they're all from the second lesson and a few of them are edited):

Yours truly, nocking an arrow.


Yours truly, about to shoot the arrow.


If ya look closely you'll see two different colored sights (the sideways "T" lookin' thing)
on the bow at different points. XD 


Oh, look! Some lovely grass!


Oooh, a new type of arrow this time!


Let's see how bored you get looking at my not-so-photogenic arm. 


A satisfying group of arrows, if I do say so myself!
Not that I'm showing the ones that didn't hit the target...

    So there we go! A trip down memory lane about my first archery experience!! I'm honestly not sure yet if I actually wanna pursue this sport ('cause as fun as it is, there are a LOT of factors to consider--especially prices. The amount of money you gotta put in for good archery equipment is slightly scary.) XD But for the couple lessons I did do, it was super cool!!! 
    I guess that wraps it up then! I hope you enjoyed reading a little bit about this and possibly learning some new things about archery! (I also hope you enjoyed those pictures because Blogger was being very stubborn with me on getting them up correctly. 😑) 

Tally-ho, chaps!

    Sooooo, what did ya think??? Was this post hopefully interesting? Would anyone want to read more chapters in my new series? Does anyone out there know how to shoot a bow and arrow? Does anyone want to learn how to shoot? Who liked my gifs? Were those tips interesting? (I'm 99% sure they were correct.) XD Do you have any archery role models (e.g. Katniss, Legolas, Robin Hood)? Are these too many questions? How photogenic are your arms? Don't worry, I'll stop now. 😉

Comments

  1. I like archery. My family has some bows and arrows. I have 2. I like aiming at hay bales.
    I liked archery and started it because of Robin Hood. I love that book!
    LOL I always make my sister be the bad guy.
    Corrie.S.P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ikr!!! Oooh, that's so cool how you have some bows and arrows!!! (Haha, I bet it'd be a lot of fun aiming at those!) XD
      YES!!! Robin Hood is awesome! Have you seen any of the movies?
      Hehehe, that sounds like something I would do too. XD
      Thank you so much for commenting! <3

      Delete
  2. This new series sounds great! I would love some more installments in it.
    No, unfortunately I have never shot a bow and arrow in my life. I'm not the type for super strength or sporty stuff, LOL. I will kindly sit back and watch you do these super tough workouts!
    I feel like stretching is kind of something you have to do before any kind of intense exercise. Otherwise you could pull a muscle, which would not be good at all! My dad is a PE teacher, so I've sort of grown up hearing these things, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!!!! Thank you so much, girl!!!!
      LOL, yeah, I'm honestly not the most super sporty person ever (not a fan of getting sweaty) XP but when I discovered archery I thought it'd be something that I'd actually like!
      Oh, man, I'm so with ya there! I've pulled some muscles before, and it is NOT fun (lesson learned)! ;) Oooh, that's cool! If I ever need advise on exercise, then I'll know to contact you! XP

      Delete
    2. Lol! Yeah, the only sport I play regularly and really enjoy is softball.
      That sounds really painful! I've pulled muscles while pitching before. Luckily ice is the cure to everything!

      Delete
    3. Oooh, softball's cool!!! I've never tried it out, but it sounds fun!
      Haha, ice definitely saves the day! XD

      Delete
  3. I love archery!! But i haven't done it much bc of my little sisters. They want to do it too, but then they could get hurt bc everyone but me doesn't care about danger.... XD Ohh, Lego Friends!! We used to watch that!! XD And KATNISS!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and when I was little, my parents also gave me a coupon note thingy that said i could get lessons!! And Legolas!!! (Aragorn is better tho... XD Don't hate me!) And I can't wait for more of The Time I... posts! And Congrats on doing awesome!!! Have a wonderful day girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSS, another archery buddy!!! Lolol, yeeaah, danger is a good thing to keep in mind...XD Woah, really!?!? That's so cool!!!! I literally thought I was the only person in the world (besides my sisters) who knew that show existed. XD Did you ever have a favorite character? (Mine was probably Andrea if I remember correctly!) ;) Katniss for the win!!! *Gasps* That's awesome!!! Those coupon things are really helpful when you can't actually give the gift to someone! XD (Oooh, yes, Aragorn is TOTALLY one of my favorite characters too! (Besides, he shoots a little also!)) ;P Awwww, thank you so much, girl!!! I hope you have an awesome day too!!! <333

      Delete
    2. XD Umm, Olivia? I don't remember... XD
      <3

      Delete
    3. Haha, Olivia was pretty cool!! Lol, it was so long ago I barely remember either... XD

      Delete
  4. WOOOOOW, THIS IS SO COOL!! I absolutely LOVE the idea of learning archery but never have gotten the chance to do it 😔 Still! I'm super excited to see more of this series!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH, Mary!!!!! Ooooh, you should definitely try it out sometime! I think you'd really enjoy it!! Awww, I'm so glad!!! I'll have to get another part written soon, then! ;) It was such a joy to hear from you, girl! :D

      Delete
  5. Hi, Victoria! *inserts myself into a group of total strangers, but hopes no one thinks I'm weird*
    Just found your blog, and lemme say,
    THIS. WAS. SO. FUN!!
    My sister does archery too. (no I'm NOT going to tell you my totally embarrassing archery story that nearly involved getting myself shot...by, you know... myself...XD)
    ANYWHOSE, thanks for making me smile!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi to you to!!! (Lol, don't worry, no one's weird around this place, but me!) ;) XD
      AHHH!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!
      Oooh, that's so cool! (Ok, but now I NEED TO KNOW THAT STORY. You've got me SO hooked!!) XPP
      Awwww, you're so welcome! Thanks for stopping by!! :D


      Delete
    2. Let's just say, that when you're loading the arrow onto the bowstring thingy, it's best not to have the arrow pointed at yourself! XP (yeah, like I said, embarrassing!)
      ANYWAY! Now I stick to drawing and blogging with my sister (it's way safer!)

      Delete
    3. OH MY. O.O Yeeeahhh, that *might* not end well! XD (But honestly, I don't think it's that embarrassing! ;) I've been in waaaaay worse situations before (which you'll probably read more about in future installments!)) XP (Thanks for sharing that though--I'm not sure if it sounds good to say this, but it made me smile!) XD
      Aahahaha, drawing and blogging is DEFINITELY way safer!!! ;P

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness! This post was AMAZING!! I was on the edge of my seat the entire time! Yes, Katniss is the first person I think of when I hear the word archery. Ahhh!! I have to watch LOTR so I can see Legolas!!! (At least I think that's what movie he's from XD) *Searches the internet* *Scolds myself for not reading the series yet* Okay, now I'm about 98% sure that's where he appears!
    I went to an archery class once and failed lol. My fingers had so many bruises/blisters on them (I think because we didn't have the right protection equipment) so I applaud you for trying!!! Not to mention my arm was screaming at me! (I have weak arm strength XD) OH and I loved your gifs! The Legolas one was my FAVORITE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALEXA!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! Oooh, really!?!? I didn't know I was that good with suspense...XD Same, girl!!! She's so cool! YEESSS, YOU HAVE TO!!!! He's also in The Hobbit series if you wanna watch those! (He's not in the books though, but because people loved him so much in LOTR the producers stuck him in the movies.) XD Hey, there is NO shame here! I actually haven't read the books and have only seen the first two movies so I'm just a budding LOTR fan too! XD
      Oooooh, that must've hurt. *grimaces* I kinda got a light scrape on my arm even though I was wearing the arm guard thing and just that stung for a bit. XD Lolol, why thank you! *Gasps* SAME. My arm was literally dying the next day (I don't have a lotta arm strength either--thus why I couldn't hold the right form well). XD (Actually, if you ever want to get some good arm strength, the sport I'd recommend would be rock climbing. I did that last year for a couple months and it DEFINITELY made me a lot stronger...that is, until I stopped. *cough* XD BUT for a few weeks there it was pretty cool!) XD
      YESSS, GIFS FOR DA WIN!!!! (Hehehe, Legolas was my favorite too...) ;P

      Delete
  7. Ahh legolas <3 <3 and katniss too! those gifs were everything, victoria! i don't think i'll ever be able to you know, string a bow, but this post was so very fun to read! (also congrats on winning that writing contest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) + (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, ikr!?! Gifs are awesome! XD Lol, I'm sure you could do it with practice! ;) AWWW, THANK YOU, girl!!!!!!!! That means so much!!! :D <333

      Delete
  8. Eeeeekkk, Victoria, I LOVED THIS POST SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First of, I am totally jealous over here not to be doing archery with you, secondly, I LOOVE the GIFs, and can I just say that title was THE definition of GENIUS!!!!! Legolas is mah boy and man, wouldn't it be sooo cool to fight like him? *sighs* I TOTALLY enjoyed this post and this new series sounds like it's gonna be SO AWESOME!!! Soo while I have absolutely no idea how to shoot a bow and arrow, I actually DID try it once. I was like twelve or something (yep, AGES ago). I was at a Girl Scout camp and archery was one of the things on the list to do, so I got to shoot an arrow or two. That was what started my love for archery (even though, I NEVER hit the target, not even once. XD) but I LOOOVE how Lego Friends started your love. Man, I haven't seen those shows in FOREVER. I actually had to think for a second longer than I should have before remembering what it was. XD Oooh, your tips were sooo interesting and honestly, really good to know. Legolas and Robyn Hood (note the different spelling XDDD) are my archery role models hands down!!!! I've actually never read/seen The Hunger Games, but the books on my tbr list, so I'm thinking about getting to it soon. ;) And, girl, you can NEVER EVER EVER EVER EEEEVVVVEEERRRR have too many questions. That's pretty much what I live by. XDDD I used to leave a lotta questions, but the problem was, I ended up running out of questions after awhile. XDD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHHH!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH ISSABELLE!!!!!!!! Aw, girl, trust me when I say I wanted to have you right by my side during the WHOLE lesson! I seriously never think of that sport anymore without thinking of you! ;) YESSSS!!!! Those GIFs were probably my favorite part of the whole post (I may or may not have planned them out a few weeks in advance...) XD Awww, thank you!!! *sniffs and brushes off shoulder* I must admit, I was pretty proud of the title myself. ;P GIRL. Fighting with Legolas would be a DREAM. COME. TRUE. *sighs with you* XD YAAAAY!!! I'm SOOO happy you're excited!!!!!!! Wait. You...you did?!?! Well, GIRL. Even if you didn't hit the target, you at least HELD a bow before I ever did!!! XD THAT'S JUST SO COOL how you did it with the Girl Scouts!!! Also, YOU WATCHED LEGO FRIENDS TOO!?!? Man, that show was more popular than I thought! Hehehe, yeah, I actually had to google Lego Friends to make sure I was thinking of the right show! XD Ohhhh, yay!!!! I'm so glad they helped!!! (Hopefully I got them all right...) XD Same with Legolas and Robyn Hood!!! ;) Honestly, I think every archer is my role model...*sighs* too hard to choose just one. XD Oooh, YES you should!!!! When you read them, lemme know what you think! For me, I kinda see the Hunger Games as a love/hate kinda thing. I think it's a really good book to read if you wanna see why it got so popular with culture, but I will say: It IS Dystopian/Sci-fi and definitely...I dunno...kinda has this darkish, hopeless feeling in it at some points (especially since it wasn't written from a Christian viewpoint and the One True Hope isn't mentioned in it). Now that I'm thinking about it, I might do a book review on it... *wheels turn in brain* Yeah, I think I will, 'cause so many good, deep discussions can come from it! Thanks for inspiring me, Issa!!! XDD Now I know what to do for my next book review!!! ;) Haha, good to know!!! I will DEFINITELY keep up the crazy amount of questions then! XP (Oh, yeah...that *might* be a problem. XD But hey, if you ever need help coming up with some, you know who to call!) ;P

      Delete
  9. Hey Victoria! I nominated you for the Twenty Years Older: Letter Tag! I would be elated if you would do it :)
    https://maithworld.blogspot.com/2021/05/twenty-years-older-letter-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, THANK YOU SO MUCH Maith!!!!! I'm gonna go check it out right now! :D

      Delete
  10. AAAAHHH ARCHERY IS AMAZING!!! (We totally need more posts in this series *nods*)

    This reminded me of how when I was little I always played with my brother's bow and arrows (the arrows were blunt, but they could still hurt if they hit you). In my mind I was an EPIC archer-person XD lol. One of my specialties was shooting the arrows at an angle so they'd skim right beneath the grass and be completely hidden. XD

    (ALSO, Katniss Everdeen is THE BEST).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ISN'T IT THOUGH!?!?!?! (Oooh, YAAAY!!!! *nods with you*)

      Oh my word, that's adorable!!! (And sounds like something I totally would've done too.) XD Hehehe, I gotta say, that's actually pretty cool!! ;) It's surprising how easily arrows can hide in the grass!

      (YASSSS! You can say that again!!) XD

      Delete
  11. OOOOOHHHH!!!!!!!! I've always been fascinated with arrows but it was until I read THG that I fell in love with archery!!!!!!! 🤩 I immediately wanted to start trying and Dad even gave me a nickname, playing off Katniss Everdeen. 😂 ( I made him stop quickly.)
    I actually just got a recurve for my birthday a few months but haven't been able to shoot it yet. (don't it in our street isn't a very good idea...right? 🙈😂) I have shot from a smaller bow before though, and I love it!!! (When the arrows go where you want them to, am I right? 😜)
    I loved your gifs. 😏 Especially the one with that girl. 😂😉( I love her bow. 🥰 Don't you just want it???)
    Yes, those tips were very interesting!!! I didn't know about stretching before hand, but it makes sense! 😂
    And since I don't make a habit of taking pictures of my arms, I couldn't tell you how photogenic they are. 🙈 I think that answers all your questions? 😂😜
    I need that arm guard, though!!!!!!! I only have a small one that goes mid way up my lower arm, and when I first started shooting, I had my arm positioned wrong, so I was hitting it with the bow string when shooting. 😬 Yeah, I had a big green bruise on my elbow for a while. 🤪😂 I've looked everywhere for a longer one but can't find one. Do you know where to find that?
    I loved this post, btw!!!!!!! 🤩🤩🤩

    ~ Kenzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Gasps* IKR!?!?! There's just something about archery that's so...CAPTIVATING. *wiggles fingers mysteriously* XP Oh my goodness, that's hilarious! (Sounds like something my dad would do...) XD
      WOAHHH, girl, that's AWESOME!!!! Recurves are SO cool! (Although, I've always wondered what a compound feels like. Have you ever shot from one of those?)
      Heheheheee...yeeaah, shooting in the street *might* not be the safest place to do it. XD YESS!!! It's SOO fun!! (Lol, right-o!) XD
      Awww, thanks! Oh yeah...that girl does look slightly familiar. ;) XP (Um, YES. YES 1000x over. *mimes grabby hands*) XD
      Oooh, yay!!! Lolol, yeah, I don't think it's a "rule" buuuut it does help a lil' bit! ;)
      Haha, girl, you're crackin' me up over here! XD Seeing how you're the first person to answer all of the questions...*crowns you Master Question-Answerer Person* XPP
      Ohhh, YES, da lovely arm guard! XD *Gasps* Oooh, girl, I SOOOO feel for ya. The first time I did archery, I got a little scrape too (but it doesn't sound nearly as bad as that bruise)! XD Hmmm...well, I dunno if could you could find better deals somewhere else, but if there's an Academy Sports + Outdoors near you, they might have some arm guards! I actually haven't purchased any equipment yet, so I'm not 100% sure, but I'm think I saw some there online. :)
      Awww, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I'm so glad you stopped by! Your comment has TOTALLY made my day!!! <33

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Daylight: A 9/11 Short Story// Interview With Author Grace A. Johnson!

Ch. 2: The Time I...Traveled to the 1700s (Feat. My Vacation to Colonial Williamsburg)

I'm Leaving the Blogosphere?