Book Review: Ruby Holler

    Guess what time it iiissss!!!! If you said it's time for another book review, then you are correct! 

    And THIS BOOK. *clutches heart* Guys, I know my last book review kind of turned into a persuasive essay situation, and I'm sorry, but this one might too. (Don't worry, I'll try to be more professionally review-ish with my next one.) 😉

    So this book, as you can see, is the BELOVED, CARNEGIE-MEDAL WINNER, Ruby Holler (by Sharon Creech)!!!

    I first read this baby when I was in a book club with another family a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... It 'twas then, when I discovered a book I could NEVER, EVER get tired of and thus became one of my favorite comfort novels ever! 

    So what are we waiting for? Let's get this party started!!! 😃😃😃

    SUMMARY (This is actually from Goodreads if you wanna check the book out there and add it to your TBR 😇😜):

   Ruby Holler is a Carnegie Medal-winning novel, and with its quirky protagonists and exciting journey, captures the imaginations of readers of all ages.  
    Brother and sister Dallas and Florida are the “trouble twins.” In their short thirteen years, they’ve passed through countless foster homes, only to return to their dreary orphanage, Boxton Creek Home.
Run by the Trepids, a greedy and strict couple, Boxton Creek seems impossible to escape. When Mr. Trepid informs the twins that they’ll be helping old Tiller and Sairy Morey go on separate adventures, Dallas and Florida are suspicious.
    As the twins adjust to the natural beauty of the outdoors, help the Tillers prepare for their adventures, and foil a robbery, their ultimate search for freedom leads them home to Ruby Holler.

    Doesn't that just look EPIC?!?! 

    *snorts* It looks like to me you bolded half of the thing for persuasion.

    What do you...WAIT. Oh no. 

    Oh YES. 

    No, no, NOOOO.... Please don't tell me you're back. 

    OH GOODNESS, just stop! Your enthusiasm is killing me over here. I can literally feel the excessive amounts of exclamation points you're using! *feigns to faint*

    Okay, but is it just me, or have you upped the ante on your sarcasm since the last time you were here?

    Awwww, you noticed? That's quite encouraging! I must say, I have been practicing lately. Which may or may not have been solely in preparation for your next book review.

    This ought to be a blast then.

    Ah! That was sarcasm too, wasn't it? 

    *sighs* Yes, Judge, it was. Now what are you gonna do? Try to un-persuade my readers again? 'Cause that didn't seem to work last time... In fact, you yourself seemed persuaded as well!

    Slightly persuaded. There's a difference. And even if I did seem interested in the last book, that doesn't mean it will happen again.
    
    Perhaps not...but it doesn't mean it won't either! 😉

    I can assure you, the likely hood of such happening is highly implausible. 

    Maybe, maybe not. But why don't we find out? 

    *smirks* I take it that's your way of hinting we should get on with this review?

    Hey, don't wanna put the readers to sleep.

    Heheheheh, don't worry. Such an instance has never happened with me around!

    But I'm sure you've scared people off before. 

    That...will remained unanswered. But let's get on shall we?

   Well, yeah. That's what I've been trying to do. In fact, you can go first! Right after me, of course. 😋

    *snorts* That wasn't funny.

    Yes it was. Now here we go! (Mind you, it has been awhile since I last read it, so I might accidentally leave some things out. But, as Goodreads said, it's for readers of all ages (and I myself read it when I was younger) so, as far as things go content-wise, in my opinion, it's cleaner than a hairdresser's sterilized combs!) XD

    POSITIVE ELEMENTS

    Y'all, Dallas and Florida's relationship in this book is TO DIE FOR. Honestly, now that I think about it, they're probably one of my favorite sibling-ships ever!! They stick by each other like glue and always remain supportive and encouraging. When Florida has nightmares from past experiences at foster homes, Dallas is there to comfort her. When Dallas gets pushed around and is in trouble, Florida is there to defend him. And the book only gets better when they meet Tiller and Sairy! The Moreys treat Dallas and Florida like family which is something totally new to the twins. Tiller and Sairy's relationship itself is beautiful and even when the two of them get into a conflict they always make up at the end. This book shows the themes of forgiveness and the importance of family really well!!!

    SPIRITUAL ELEMENTS

   I'm 99% sure there was nothing spiritual mentioned in this book. (And if there is, then it was probably very little since I can't remember it.)

    ROMANTIC ELEMENTS

    The only thing "romantic" would probably be the married couples (like Mr. and Mrs. Trepid and Tiller and Sairy). *shrugs* But there was nothing besides that.

    VIOLENT CONTENT

    A few flashbacks show Florida and Dallas getting abused by some of their foster families and the Trepids don't treat them any better. I think someone falls and gets hurt at one point and the villain gets injured by things like poison ivy, snakes, and bugs. A couple people almost drown and someone has a heart attack. Sickness and a death is mentioned, but nothing in the book gets graphic.

    CRUDE/PROFANE LANGUAGE
    
    The words "putrid" and "stupid" are used, but nothing worse is mentioned if I recall correctly.

    Oh wow. That sounds very reassuring.

    *scowls* What's that supposed mean?

    Please. We all know how much of a Dory brain you have—even you've said so on numerous occasions.

    Yeah, but I was kidding.

    Were you, my little naïve Victoria? Because if I recall, you seem to have one of the most forgetful memories I know.

    Wow. Thanks. But instead of a "forgetful memory" I like to refer to it as a "selective memory". It has a nicer ring to it! Besides, I know what you're doing right now. 

    Oh really? Do tell.

    I will indeedy! Instead of using fallacies to degrade the review like last time, now you're just plain ole distracting me.

    *Gasps dramatically* My goodness, it's the observation of the century! Who would've figured it out? However, you can't blame me. I did warn you I was gonna use my sarcasm today.

    True enough. At least it's not the worst thing you could do...in fact, I know how you can get better at it!

    *narrows eyes* What do you mean? 

    You obviously like being snarky, right?

    Well, yes...

    Then wouldn't you love to learn how to master that sarcasm?

    I would actually. It's quite fun!

    Then you should find using my way of getting better at it fun too!

    What would this way be? Because I think I'll try it out!

    *grins* Great! 'Cause the way to get better at it would be to read Ruby Holler!

    Wait, wut?

    Yep-o! Florida is full of snark (not as much as Sage from The False Prince or Keefe from KOTLC) buuut if you wanna get some pointers, then Ruby Holler would be the best place to start! (Then you can graduate to KOTLC and TFP....) 😉

    I...you...how dare you trick me like that!

    Oh no, I didn't trick you. I'm just stating a fact! It's up to you whether you take the advise. *shrugs* I was just trying to help a snarky boy in training.

    I'm not "in training". I'm very, very good at sarcasm.

    Sure...but you could still get better. Think it over while I finish this review! 😁

    DRUG/ALCOHOL CONTENT

    Um, I think medicine is used at some point??? But I don't believe there was anything else.

    OTHER NEGATIVE CONTENT

    A couple people lie and try to steal. (But the villain did most of it.) 

    MY THOUGHTS!

    So, if you read my review for The Count of Monte Cristo, you saw how enthusiastic I was about it. HOWEVER, if I had to recommend reading that book or Ruby Holler before the day you die, then...I'd read Ruby Holler. It's that good y'all!!! I loved The Count and I know it's a classic and I still think everyone should read it, buuuuut THIS BOOK. Ugh, guys, if you haven't read it, you have NO idea what you're missing out on!!!! And, and, did I mention it even won an award?

    *rolls eyes* YES, Victoria. We're aware of that.

    Shhh. You're supposed to be thinking my suggestion over.

    Anyway. If you want to read a story that gives you all the feels and features that good ole found family trope then I would totally read Ruby Holler!! It also gave me a really good look into the foster care community (and I know that not every foster kid is an angsty, distrustful teenager) but I do know there are kids like that and that fostering backgrounds can be a little rougher. That said, I think this book gave a pretty good portrayal of that. And also, my love *may* have been renewed for it (and slightly biased) after I remembered it featured foster teens like my story does. XD (More on my WIP is coming soon!)

    Sooooo, what would I rate this on my Star Scale? Start scrolling to find out! (Even though it's probably obvious *cough*).

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Yep, 5 stars! XD


    Don't worry, I won't rate every book I review 5 stars. 😉It just so happens that my first two reviews are!

    Oh good! I was starting to worry about that. 'Cause if you only review 5 star rated books, that's gonna put me out of business...

    Oooh, thanks for the tip then! 

    No, NO! That's not what I meant!

    Hehehehe, I was kidding. As annoying as you are, I'm starting to warm up to you.

    Oh...well, why thank you! 

    But I'll like you even more if you read Ruby Holler. 

    Hah! I knew there was a catch. And I won't reveal if that book looks interesting to me or not (even if what you say about the sarcasm is true), but I must admit, it was a nice review!

    Oh, I know. 😉

    *snorts* How humble. Well, I'll be taking my leave now! Tally-ho!!

    Har-har. Now I know you're hanging around here too much. 

    ANYWHO. I hope you enjoyed this book review and *cough* The Judge *cough* as much as you could *wheezes*. 😬😜Have a wonderful day, my fellow peeps!

Tally-ho!

    So tell me! Have you read Ruby Holler before? If you haven't, do you want to now? What did you think of the Judge's newly found interest in sarcasm? Who's your favorite sarcastic/snarky fictional character? (If you say Sage or Keefe you're my new best friend!) XD  

   





Comments

  1. Loveeeeee this book! 😭
    🤣🤣🤣 your review is awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEESSS!!!! Another fan!!!! *high-fives*
      Haha! THANK YOU!!!

      Delete
  2. LOVED THIS REVIEW AGAIN!!!!!!!! These are so much funnnn!! And you always make me want to go and read whatever book you're reviewing! xD And while i love reading Judge's commentary, it never sways my opinion. ;) xD
    I actually read Ruby Holler a *longggggg* time ago! I don't remember a terrible lot about it, but reading your review makes me want to go and read it again. ;)
    WONDERFUL review, Victoria!!!!! :):):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! Oh goody!! At least I'm doing somethin' right! XPP Hahahaha, YES GIRL! *looks around* See, Judge!?! There's no way you're gonna persuade people on this blog! ;P
      *Gasps* REALLY!?!?! That's AWESOME!!! Oooh, I hope you do! It'd definitely one I need to reread every once in while! ;)
      Awww, Sierra, that TOTALLY makes my day! (I was worried that the Judge would get repetitive so I'm glad to hear you liked it!!!) :D

      Delete
  3. RUBY HOLLER IS LIFE. I love that book! I have read it so many times... I shall never get bored of it. *clutches book to chest and sighs dramatically*
    The Judge is awesome! He is literally so snarky... *pats him on the shoulder* your sarcasm skills are improving, young Padawan. XD Love him!
    SAGE IS MY BOY AND HIS SARCASM IS GOLD. XD *cue fangirl screaming* Yeah, Keefe is great. But Sage is better. *smirks as the masses gasp* hehehe. XDD
    This was a PHENOMENAL REVIEW. I loved it!!! Great job! ;) *sends chocolate*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ISN'T IT THOUGH?!?! Oh I know!!! It's DA BOMB!!
      Shhhh, we can't let his ego get any bigger than it is! ;) But SERIOUSLY, mah dude was killin' me over there! XDD His sarcasm is something else, that's for sure!
      PREACH IT, SISTER!!! His sarcasm gives me life! *swoons* XD Oh, yeah! Sage is definitely the King of Snark! (Of course, if you're talking about the dudes of themselves (not including the sarcasm) then, ummmm, I dunno. Ugh, I'm sorry, but I'm such a sucker for Hunkyhair, I can't decide whose better! XD Maybe I'll have better judgment after reading The Runaway King!!) ;)
      Awwww, thank you much, girl!!! I'm so glad you liked it!! *eats chocolate* ;P

      Delete
  4. I want to read this now! I've read another book by Shannon Creech and it made me cry (and I love books like that) so I'm putting Ruby Holler on my summer TBR! *sighs* I've got a lot of books to read. I better get started!
    *Gasps* JUDGE IS BACK!!!!! *dances* Oh I love snarky Judge! YOU ARE DA BEST JUDGE!
    And guess what?!!! (Chicken Butt!! XD Just kidding.) I agree with you! SAGE and KEEFE are the BEST sarcastic characters out there. EVERY SINGLE TIME I read their stories, I'm dying laughing. You could find me reading at night, laughing my head off. THEY ARE THE BEST!! (I'm getting so excited just writing this comment!!!!) Now I really want to go read The False Prince or KotLC!!! *walks off to do just that* *oh and puts Ruby Holler on hold at the library* XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSS!!!! You TOTALLY should!! Ooooh, which one was it? (I may have heard of it!) Haha, you and me both, sista! XD
      *Gasps with you* YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!!! Lol, I'm glad you got a kick outta him!! XD (Haha!!) IKR!?!?! They are seriously mah boys!! Sage is ALWAYS spouting off something smart-alecky and Keefe...well, you never know when it comes to him! XD *Gasps* SAME, girl!!! Lolol, happy reading!! XD (Oh, and lemme know what you think of Ruby Holler!) :)

      Delete
  5. You give a persuasive argument to read this book :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Daylight: A 9/11 Short Story// Interview With Author Grace A. Johnson!

Ch. 2: The Time I...Traveled to the 1700s (Feat. My Vacation to Colonial Williamsburg)

I'm Leaving the Blogosphere?