Know the Novel Part 1: Introducing Before the Flames

    I have many things on my bucket list—go to New Zealand, meet a celebrity, publish my very own book, attend Realm Makers, etc. But, one of the biggest to-dos I have been dying to, well...do is the one and only Christine Smith's annual Know the Novel linkup!!!
    I actually just learned about this awesome post series last year (when I was but a wee little newbie to the blogosphere) and when I first read about it I absolutely KNEW I had to join in. The only problem was, I had zero social media platforms at the time. But no matter! It was going on that mental bucket list of mine anyway and I started planning the post in my head even before I ever knew I would actually create a blog. Now, that said, a few things have changed about the post since then, but LET'S CELEBRATE because yours truly is finally getting another thing marked off her list!!!

*parties for 2.3984 seconds*

    All right, enough of that. Letsies get to business! *cackles*

   If you have no clue about what Know the Novel is, never fear! Here are zee basics: Know the Novel is, like I mentioned earlier, an epic linkup created by Christine Smith over at her Internet Hobbit Home for writers to share about their stories (specifically for National Novel Writing Month a.k.a. NaNoWriMo but anyone can do this even if they're not participating in NaNo)! There are three parts that span over the next three months where each person who joins the linkup can answer 10 fun questions for their WIPs! You can find out more about it and visit all the other participants' sites HERE! (Even if you don't wanna check it out shame on you if that's the case you should still hop on over Christine's place 'cause she's one of the MOST AWESOME people in the blogosphere and you're missing out way too much by not knowing her! Like a lot, y'all. Can't stress that enough.) ;P Nooow....


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


    If you read my last post you'll know that a certain character of mine (Yes, Valor, I'm looking at you) from my other WIP, Between the Lines, got a little cocky and nearly spilled the beans about the novel I'm gonna be sharing with you today. He didn't though thanks to me *smirks* so now I get the ultimate joy in sharing with you my very new story idea! It is called...Before the Flames. *cue dramatic music* (Yes, I realize that my current WIP title also starts with a preposition beginning with "b". I think I'm on happy spree with that right now.) XD But, even though I'm going to start working on Before the Flames that absolutely doesn't mean I'm gonna stop Between the Lines. I'm just...kinda at a standstill with that at the moment and so I'm hoping that, by beginning this new story, I'll get inspiration again to resume BTL and be able to figure some things out. (You'll know why in a half a second.) 😉

What first sparked the idea for this novel? 

    *half a second later* Between the Lines did! This novel is actually the story behind BTL's antagonist and how he became a villain. ('Tis why working on Before the Flames might get my brain spinning again for Between the Lines.) Don't we all just love it when that happens?   

Share a blurb (or just an overall summary)!

    Well, I can’t say too much seeing how there would be a lot of spoilers for BTL. (You know how that goes.) 😉 But I’ll do my best to share what I can!

Every villain has a story. For Silas, his started before the flames.

    Silas Farryn never wanted to be the bad guy. But sometimes it's just hard not to be after everything he has is stripped away. Growing up with a strict father who happens to be the most powerful wizard in the world in addition to a jealously conniving brother, doesn't make life any easier. 
    However, when Silas discovers the secret that could crack a seemingly unsolvable magic formula his father has been working on, life starts to turn in his favor. If this works, he could finally be accepted into the Ring of Wizards and gain the esteem he always wanted from his father. 
    But then a fiery accident occurs, leaving Silas scarred—literally. Soon after, he ends up losing his life's work, his fiancée, and worst of all, his dignity. Now an outcast to society, Silas turns to the only thing he can think of—revenge. Revenge that involves three wishes, a certain magic book, and creating a legacy of death. 
    By doing this, Silas begins a new journey. One that will continue for centuries and only harden his heart with more anger and pain. 
    Although the flames of life may bring trial, one can either choose to heal from them or remain broken and bitter. However, even if one does choose the latter, there's still hope for him change—as is the possible case with Silas...

Where does the story take place? What are some of your favorite aspects about the setting? 

    Before the Flames takes place in a fictional European city called Sunderheim around the 1500s. Talk about a long time ago. My favorite aspects of it would probably the medievally buildings, the horse-y transportation, and just the...simplicity of the age. It's actually somewhat similar to what I imagine the setting of Valor's world, Zurovia, is like. (Just less golden and fancy and...Asgard-y, lol.) 😉But it definitely carries a lot of Middle Ages vibes 'cause of the time period and all. 

Tell us about your protagonist(s). 

    *coughs* Well, since Silas is more of a protagonist/antagonist in this story, I guess I'll just talk about the good boy side of him here. XD Introducing...Mr. Happy-Before-the-Accident.

Image Credit: Pinterest
  • Silas is between the ages of 18 and 25 (I haven't really landed on a specific one yet).
  • He's betrothed/engaged/whatever to his best friend, Melina Hullwin.
  • He's been learning magic since the age of 10.
  • He loves to learn new things and experiment with magic.
  • He wants to become skilled enough in magic to join the Ring of Wizards.
  • He feels like he has to meet his father's high standards and do something revolutionary regarding magic to be accepted into the Ring.
  • He's often overshadowed by his older brother, Evander, who's motto seems to be "Outdo The Younger Brother In Anything And Everything And Be Father's Golden Boy™." 
  • He's also bullied by Evander which turns...pretty harmful once they get older.
  • He has a close relationship with his father's servant and household manager, Jarell Brenden, who acts more like a father to him than his biological one does.
  • He can be pretty mischievous sometimes, but also has a tame side too.
  • He's imaginative.
  • Whenever he figures something out or has a new idea, he gets very excited and passionate about it and doesn't let it go easily.
  • He loves kids.
  • He naturally stands up for the underdog.
  • He has a tendency to hold grudges.
  • He usually lets problems fester in him until they eventually explode through harmful actions (either to himself, other people, or both). Which leads us to....
Who (or what) is the antagonist? 

    Here be Mr. Evil-After-the-Accident:

Image Credit: Pinterest

    Quite different, amiright? XD However, since Silas is the rising villain in only the last half of the book, here are a couple people who kind of act like antagonists in it as well.

Evander Farryn
Pretty sure that haughty smirk thing says enough.
Image Credit: Pinterest

Melina Hullwin 
Yeeeaaah...y'all may have been surprise with this one. XD
Image Credit: Pinterest

    So, YES, she's his fiancée. Yes, that means she's supposed to love him (which it does...sometimes). But, let's just say she's secretly had her attention focused on Brother E. for a while even more than Silas (and herself) has realized. More so, although she doesn't do anything towards Silas as terrible as Evander does, she still treats him kinda like dirt after the accident.

What excites you most about this novel? 

    Definitely diving into the mind of a villain and crafting the story of how he became evil. I'm also excited to tie some similarities and parallels from Between the Lines in and see how the two stories will intertwine with each other by the time both of them are done!

Is this going to be a series? standalone? something else? 

    Well, Before the Flames is a prequel to Between the Lines so I don't think that would make it a "series". (Especially since it isn't continuing the events after BTL.) And, unless I go with the idea of writing future books about the side characters (like Conner and Laurel) in Between the Lines, I'm not really planning to make a series with that either. *shrugs* So as of right now, Before the Flames is merely a prequel to the standalone Between the Lines. (Yeah, probably could have just used that to sum up the whole paragraph.) XD

Are you plotting? pantsing? plantsing?

    Hah! Hardcore planster here! I'll usually make a vague outline in my head (only up to a certain amount of chapters though) and let my characters fill in the rest and/or take the reins when they want to. This of course doesn't always end well, but hey. That's what edits are for! 😉

Name a few unique elements about this story. 

    Uh, well, this isn't really unique to every other author out there in existence, but this novel is going to be the first one I'm writing from a male person's POV. Silas is also probably the oldest character I'll have written and, while there isn't really going to be a romantic sub-plot, he is engaged to Melina so there will have to be a little bit romance in there somewhere (which will be a first to me too). That said, though, it'll be pretty low-key. OH, also, you know Silas' yellow eyes in his evil picture above? Well, that may or may not have been inspired by this guy:

Yesh I love my Anakin as evil as he may be.

Share some fun “extras” of the story (a song or full playlist, some aesthetics, a collage, a Pinterest board, a map you’ve made, a special theme you’re going to incorporate, ANYTHING you want to share!).



    Now this is what I'm talkin' about! *evil cackles* I've been looking forward to this part of the post for a good ole time now. XD

AESTHETICS


Image Credit: Pinterest


Aaaaand here's my playlist! There's currently 39 songs on there, but I'll probably add some if I hear any more good ones for Silas! (Fun Fact: I started searching for songs several months in advance just for Know the Novel.) XD

~ PLAYLIST ~

    So, that's about it! Now, even though I'll be working on Before the Flames this upcoming month, I'm actually not participating in NaNoWriMo just 'cause...well, that'd probably end up being SUPER stressful for me. I can barely get 1,000 words written in a week much less 50,000 in a month. XD Buuuut, maybe someday...😉
    However, to those who are doing NaNo, I wish you the best of luck and that you'll drink plenty of coffee on those poor sleep deprived nights for me! Thank you muchity-much for reading and, uh, may your days be merry and bright! Yeah, I'm so ready for Christmas. XD *cackles, salutes, and leaves*

Tally-ho!

So tell me: who is doing NaNo this year? Did you join Christine's awesome linkup? What do you think of Before the Flames? Did you enjoy learning more about Silas? Which picture or graphic was your favorite? And lastly, what's on your bucket list? 😜Talk to me all about it below!




Comments

  1. Your story sounds so awesome. :D I love your collages, and also Silas's eyes are so cool. :)
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWWWW, THANK YOU!!!!! I'm so happy like it!!! Not to brag, but...*sniffs and dusts off shoulder* I'm pretty happy with how they came out too. XPP IKR!?!? I think oddly colored eyes are always so cool! Thanks again, girl!!! :D

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness gracious, VICTORIA!!! I'm so utterly thrilled you got to join Know the Novel this year. And am also blown away that my little linkup was something on your bucket list?? AWWWW!!! That makes it 100x MORE fun for me to host it. I absolutely love doing this for all of you!

    And okay okay but THIS STORYYY. I'm already in love! I mean, a villain backstory novel? YES PUH-LEASE. Those are so epic! Though my heart is literally already breaking for Silas. It sounds like he's been through a TIME. Which, of course, doesn't justify villainous behavior buuuut STILL. I think that's really intriguing his fiancee also ends up being a bit of an antagonist toward him! This is gonna bring out the FEELS, isn't it? Which is my favorite. *cackles like the mad bookworm I am*

    ALSO. Can I just say how much I love all these names? Silas, Evander, Melina, Sunderheim, ALL OF IT. I'm totally loving the feel of these names!

    And...EVERYTHING ELSE! The setting, the aesthetic, everything! This sounds absolutely feelsy and delicious and intriguing and all the things! I'm so utterly ecstatic you got to do Know the Novel this year because that means I got to read about your novel! This was so fun! Thank you for joining in! And for all the sweet things you said about me. I can't even! <333

    I do hope all your writing endeavors go wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D'awwww, ME TOO!!!!! IT WAS!!! Seriously, we all owe you A LOT of thanks for thinking of hosting this and giving us something special to participate in! (So THANK YOU!!!) <333

      GIRL. Brb, while I go happy cry. *sniffles* THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!! It makes me so so so happy that you love it!!!! UGH YES. Give me allll the villain-y backstories! Yeah, he sure has...*sighs* It's been a hard-knock life for him. ;) Same!!! His fiancee was actually gonna be a major antagonist at first but then I was like, "Well, how realistic would that be if she had a least a little love for him???" XD So I cut down on that some, but not TOO much to where there wouldn't be, like you said, any FEELS. XD ('Cause we all love those, don't we?) *cackles with you*

      Awwww, thank you!!! I get name inspirations from THE weirdest things. XD Silas was decided on because I've just always thought that's a cool villain name, Evander came from this old epic (or something) I had to read for school a ways back, Melina came from Black Widow, and Sunderheim came from one of the songs on my playlist. But hey, wacky inspiration is always the best! ;)

      EEEEEK!!!! Again, I cannot even express enough THANK YOUS!!!!! This is seriously something I'm gonna have to start doing every year from now on! I can't wait to start working on part 2! Awwww, you're so welcome!

      The same to you, Christine!!!

      Delete
  3. First off, what are these Realm Makers that you speak of? *mind blown* The name sounds SOOO interesting!! What, is it like a conference thingy ma bob? Okay, next matter of business: I ALWAYS love getting WIP stuff in my email! Like seriously, it MAKES MY DAY!!! So FYI, before this comment officially gets longer, you will see lots of caps because I’m SOOO excited! (So much so I’m shaking while typing this XD) Before the Flames is an EPIC title!! EEEK, I LOVE the BLURB!!!! *dances around* (And that Anakin gif. *clutches heart* That is pure amazingness.) Okay, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE those graphics. That “into the flames fell a boy, out of the ashes rose a monster” thing was A M A Z I N G!! I can not express how much I love that and how much it makes me want to read this book already!!!!
    *sad eyes* No NaNo? Aww yes, NaNo is very stressful so I can understand. Well, I do hope that you do it someday!! I am doing NaNo this year and I’m partly excited and partly terrified. *ahem* XD And I should’ve joined Christine’s amazing linkup!! I was debating about it but I totally should’ve!! Do you know if you can join halfway through? Yes, I 100% enjoyed learning more about Silas and I'm looking forward to more in the future! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOH MWAHAHAHA, Realm Makers you say? WEEELL, you are absolutely right about it being a conference! In fact, it's actually a writing conference for Christian Sci-Fi and Fantasy writers to be specific!!! (Here's the link to their website if you wanna check it out: https://www.realmmakers.com/) Although...it is preeeeetty pricey which is why I most likely won't be able to make it there until I'm 70 and retired with enough money to last a life time. XD (But it doesn't hurt to start saving up for it now! *cackles*) SQUEEEE!!! *makes other incoherent noises* That seriously makes me SO HAPPY!!!! I happen to LOVE WIP stuff as well! ;) (LOLOLOL *reaches through screen to steady your hands*) XDD AWWWWW, THANK YOUUUUU!!!!! (GIRL YES. ANAKIN IS MY EVIL SITH BABY.) XD AHHHHH!!!! That has seriously made my day!!! THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!! I worked for a good time on the Evil Silas graphic to make it JUST PREFECT-O. XD
      *sad eyes back* Nooooo...*slinks away* Not this time. :( But I'm definitely gonna try to get in a lot of writing this month and DO want to try NaNo out eventually! OOOOH, that's awesome!!! *high-fives* By the time I'm brave enough to try it, then you can be my helping buddy and give me a hand with all that stuff! XD YES!!! You can ABSOLUTELY join halfway through!!! She actually said so on her second part for it (if you didn't see that already)! Awwww, girl!!! *hugs* Thank you so much!!!! I definitely can't wait to share more about it in the future!!! :D

      Delete
  4. This sounds so cool! I love the idea of exploring an antagonist's story from before they were the bad guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEEEEK!!! Thank you so much, Jameson!!! Same!! I LOVE backstories like that! Thanks for stopping by!!!! :D

      Delete
  5. Your story sounds amazing! I used to write stories but sadly I have stopped because I have been sooooo busy with college . I hope to get back to it soon though have a great day! Keep serving our Lord.
    *Hugs!*
    -Kiara
    http://.alifeforhimnet.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWWWWW, thank you SOOO much, Kiara!!! That means a lot to me! Girl, I COMPLETELY understand. I'm definitely not one of those writers who get in, like, 1000 words a day. (I'm lucky if I even get 500 in a week!) XD And, yes, school is absolutely one of the challenges in finding time to write for me too. But I hope you definitely get the chance to pick it up again once life gets a little less busy!! ;) Awww, I hope you have an awesome day too! Thank you so much for your encouragement and for stopping by! <33
      *Hugs back!*

      Delete
  6. WOWOW, VICTORIA, your new book idea sounds AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D That blurb of yours was INCREDIBLE, and aaahh, I just can't wait to read it!!!!!!!!!!! *reaches for unfinished manuscript* Those graphics look amazing too, and I love the quotes you put on them!!!!!!!!! (I'm sorry, I can't pick a favorite! ;) They both look fantabulous!!!) Silas sounds like an intriguing character!! I love that you're showing his past and how he became a villain!!! I think that's just so cool!!!

    I'm sorta doing NaNo and sorta not. I'm not using the NaNo site, but I am setting myself a goal of writing 50,000 words this month. (Of course, I'm failing terribly; so if I make it to 40,000, I'll be happy.) I'm planning on joining Christine's linkup. I wasn't able to do Part 1 last month, so I'm doing Part 1 AND 2 this month. Hmm, one thing on my bucket list is to go ice skating. I've always wanted to and to be able to do those pretty twirls, and leaps, and other fancy stuff that ice skaters do. I figured with my dancing experience, it shouldn't be too hard to learn, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AAHHHH!!!! THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH KATHERINE!!!!! YEESSSHH, I can't wait for you to read it too!!! ;) Awwwww, thank youuuu!!! (Haha, no shame there girl!) ;P *grinz* I'm so glad you think so!! It's definitely something new, but exciting!!!

      Ooooh, that's AWESOME!!!! *high-fives* I really, really, really hope you get 50,000 done!!!!! (But hey, even 40,000 is just as awesome!! I'm failing even more than that (by a loooong shot), so there is NO judging going on.) XD YES GIRL you should totally do that!!!! I can't wait for those posts!!!! Ooooh, ice skating is so fun!! I've gone for fun before, but I do NOT have the bravery to try fancy moves like that. (I'd probably break my neck if I did.) XD Of course, if I took actual lessons that would be another story and YEESSS. I bet it'd DEFINITELY be a lot easier for you since you dance!! ;)

      Anywhooo, thank you again SOOO much for this awesome comment, Kat!!!!! *hugs* It totally made my day!!! :D

      Delete
  7. OOOoooo!
    No words, just sounds😱
    Corrie.S.P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MWAHAHAHA, why thank ye much m'lady! It's quite the story indeed! ;)

      Delete
  8. ooo a new playlist to capture song ideas from lol (not that i need more... my story playlists usually end up close to 100 o_o but the endless inspiration!) your novel sounds really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEESSS!!! (Lol, wow!! That's a lotta songs! XD IKR!?! Music ALWAYS give me so much inspiration!) Awww, thank you so much girl!!! <33

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Daylight: A 9/11 Short Story// Interview With Author Grace A. Johnson!

Ch. 2: The Time I...Traveled to the 1700s (Feat. My Vacation to Colonial Williamsburg)

I'm Leaving the Blogosphere?